MICHIGAN KNEE INSTITUTE PLATFORM FOR CHECKING HEALTH OF SURGERY PATIENTS

The Michigan Knee Institute, through its founder, Jeffrey DeClaire, M.D, is using smartwatches to track the progress of patients who undergo knee replacement surgery.

The smartwatches worn by the patients are embedded with artificial intelligence (AI) software that aids in the recording of the progression of health in patients before and after their sessions. Reports from instructions given to patients are relayed to the medical team.

The use of AI in Dr. DeClaire’s facility forms part of a nationwide program that studies the health statuses of patients with smartwatches and the mymobility app. The study, which will be used on a number of patients in the Michigan Knee Institute, will determine its effectiveness compared to face-to-face sessions and therapy.

“As physicians we are obligated to seek out the most technologically advanced methods for helping our patients,” says Dr. DeClaire. “The watch uses AI to collect the patient's activity data and shares it with the app on the patient's smart phone. The app messaging feature allows patients to send photos, ask questions, and provide updates to me and my team, with such timely communication ensuring the absolute best care possible.”

“Being a nurse, I appreciate research and loved the idea there would be a second set of eyes watching my progress…Dr. DeClaire's office sent me educational information, as well as exerciseswhich they tracked. I had the app on my phone and received prompts on my watch.  Using my smart watch was a terrific way to remain connected to Dr. DeClaire and his staff. It also gave me the comfort of knowing that I was doing things right,” says Denise Erhart, an ex-nurse who participated in the study.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VITTORIO COLAO REJOINS VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS BOARD